Friday, January 6, 2012

Welcome 2012!

It's been far too long since I posted anything in this blog. It is time to resurrect so I am starting fresh.

You will see at the right the most monumental events. New Son-in-law, new Daughter-in-law, and new graduate. There are a lot of back stories to each of these but so much has happened since my last post that it is impossible to fill in all the gaps. In general the family is good. Everyone is healthy and happy.

My New Years resolution (besides the weight thing for the umpteenth time) is to finish my book. My goal is to have the manuscript ready for the "Old Mans" annual fishing trip to Panguitch Lake in July. I plan on passing out copies to some of my best friends and mentors and have them edit away, or at least read it and comment. I think it's a great story, but then again I am the author!

I am sure 2012 will provide plenty of fodder and humor to entertain me anyway. Your comments are always welcome even if it's "this article sucks!" That's OK. I want to dedicate most of my writing time to finishing the aforementioned book, so I can't promise how often I will write in here but I am rededicating myself. (As if there were thousands of readers anxiously awaiting my next written words - HA!)

This is still an exercise for me in creative writing; repeat -for me. Your attendance is optional.

~~~

I turn 59 next month...hummm!? Not quite sure how happy I am about that. Probably more happy than I will be next year when I turn 60. I guess I should be glad I am turning anything. Speaking of turning. That weight thing. Yes it's time, it's really time. I have foregone any thoughts of impressing people with my rippled muscles as I do chin-ups on the high bar in Venice Beach. Ain't gonna happen! I am just tired of impressing people how someone as large as me can actually squeeze into a restaurant booth. Fat people usually sit at the tables. There, I said it; fat people. "Hi my name is Rick and I am a fat person" -the first step. It's not a 12 week program it's a life change. The first milestone is a year, this is long term. Wish me luck and light candles in church for me (figuratively). Enough said about that.

Keegan, our youngest graduated from high school last spring. He is taking some time off school and working hard hoping to get into BYU's art program in the spring this year. My reason for mentioning that is the fact that the house chemistry has changed forever. We are blessed to see our kids frequently but there are a lot of evenings spent alone. We're entering that next phase of life. I can't believe how quickly it has come.

I had an idea for another book; that would be four books at some phase of progress. I need to at least write my thoughts down so I don't forget the premise but I am committed to finish one before I begin a fourth. I was laying in bed the other night when I started to think about all the stories I knew about my Dad and those I assume I know and can elaborate. I thought it would make an interesting book about two brothers growing up in San Diego in the 20's and 30's with a single Mom, then going off to war, returning to marry and start families blah blah blah. There you have it - premise. I think I can make my Dad more of hero than he already is to me. There would be considerable artistic license but I don't think he'll mind.

Signing off for now. Hope you'll join me next time. If not, the real joy for me is in the writing, not the reader reading.

No comments: