Monday, January 16, 2012

Politics - NSFW

A friend of mine posted this quote on Facebook today;

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." - Martin Luther King


I don't want to write a political diatribe but I read the following today on MSNBC, and in honor of Dr. King I won't remain silent.

In the upstate city of Easley, the Rev. Brad Atkins, president of the South Carolina General Baptist Convention, has posted an email exchange on his church website with a local reporter on his objections to the LDS church. "Romney's Mormonism will be more a cause of concern than Gingrich's infidelity," Atkins wrote. Christians can forgive sin, the pastor said, "but wi
ll struggle to understand how anyone could be a Mormon and call themselves a Christian."

Are you kidding me! What incomprehensible ignorance! I am embarrassed for this man and offended. I think Martin Luther King would be offended. Excuse me, but I AM A MORMON! I believe in Jesus Christ. In fact, I belong to the "Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints", and I am a Christian!

I am truly amazed at the ignorance that remains about my faith. That being said, disqualifying people for being unfit for the Presidency based on their religion is not even a factor. Nor is being Jewish, Catholic, Black, Chinese or Hispanic. Martin Luther King's entire message to the world was obviously lost on you Mr. Atkins.

No comments: