Saturday, January 14, 2012

The Movies

Marian and I went to see Warhorse last night, Marian for her second time. She had seen it earlier in the week with Natalie. So I have completed viewing the "big movie" releases over the holidays (at least the ones I wanted to see); We Bought a Zoo, Mission Impossible, Sherlock Holmes, Warhorse. Marian commented on the way home from Warhorse last night, "And people still feel like they have to go to war!". I had the exact same thought during the movie. There are many stories and movies with a scene where the enemy meets in no-mans land. The scene is the same; they find a common element - "humanity". They shake hands then continue killing each other. I'll never understand war.

Having said that you probably want to know which was my favorite, which one I would go see again...drumroll..."We bought a Zoo"! It was the first movie we saw of the four but I have to admit not my first choice to see. We went between Christmas and New Years. I like Matt Damon and I liked the story, and if Scarlett Johansson happens to be in the movie, that's ok too. I read they are making another "Bourne" movie but Matt Damon has opted out. I won't have much interest in seeing that one. All the movies were unique and I enjoyed each one for different reasons. Each was thoroughly entertaining.

I am always curious about the origin of a movie. At the end of the movie I look in the credits for "based on the novel by...". Some movies are original screenplays. Others are based on TV shows, comic characters or inspired by true events. The ones that interest me the most are those based on novels. I always wonder if the author envisioned a movie as he/she wrote the story. Are the characters they create molded from real actors they feel could play the part if the book became a movie? I know as I write (create), a black and white movie plays in my head and I try to describe what I see. The interesting part is that the movie is constantly being edited, it goes in many directions before I choose a path by describing in writing what I see in my minds eye.

I would love to write a book that became a movie. How fun! But actually I would thrill in just writing a story that someone read and liked. Guess I need to cut this short and get back to my book. There's a great movie in the making..."Based on the Novel by Rick Black!" COOL!

No comments: