Wednesday, March 27, 2013

T - Minus 24 hours!

I went to the Doctor Tuesday for my pre-surgery regimen; blood test, urine sample, EKG. I felt like a car going through a diagnostic prior to getting its engine rebuilt. After the EKG the technician said "perfect". I asked if that was a diagnosis or rhetorical. "Rhetorical" was his answer. "But everything looks good", he added - whatever that means.

The nurse ran through the routine with me telling me the process. I have to arrive at the hospital at 5:15AM Thursday morning. I should shower, scrub and disinfect the "areas" before I come. The orderly will shave me... that's good and I hope they inform him that I'm just getting my knees worked on. She told me what to bring and what to leave home. She also informed me of what to expect from the medications that will be used and to take them whether I felt the need or not.

Five days in the hospital, seven in a rehab facility. I just want to get this thing over with. I am a little anxious and impatient to the point of being testy - I apologized to Marian last night for being grumpy. She understood - after all she has lived with me for almost 38 years. Grumpy has reared his ugly head before. I'm trying to get everything taken care of at home; bills and my chore list and I am trying to get a leg up on the business quarter at work - that has proven to be more difficult. In a way I feel I deserve five days in bed on drugs whatever the reason.

My friends, family and co-workers have been great and supportive. It's nice to know a lot of people care and are willing to share the load. I've been off any medication for nine days now including ibuprofen. There have been a couple times I could have used a handful. Marian brought home a new fuzzy robe for me to take to the hospital. I guess she thinks no one wants to see the back of my open gown - and I agree with her. Keegan said, "I didn't think you were a robe sort of guy Dad." I'm really not but I will wear one to protect the innocent. I'm not looking forward to spending Easter in the hospital. No ham nor fun family get together for me. I'm sure Marian will bring me a baggy full of malt balls as those are my favorite Easter candy. Sigh...

I'll write again on the backside of the surgery. I may have to dictate to Marian. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

vhannah53 said...

I love reading the posts Rik..It is a creative way to keep us posted. I can see that we are a few days out of surgery and no blog.I guess that is an indication of how you are feeling.. Just pop those painpills and let it ride.. I am looking at two more this summer on my ankle and I am hating the thought of it.. But the best part is you are further away from the surgery and hopefully it will only get better. Please take care and please let Marian know we think she is a shining example of a life partner.. Vera