Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Happy New Year!!


Happy Freakin’ New Year!

I hope for all of you that 2008 is a great year and brings you all the “righteous desires of your heart”.

In the coming year, if you read or visit my blog please leave a comment. If nothing else your name and where you’re from. I see a lot of unknown hits and would like to know if it’s someone other than my family. Tell me if something made you laugh, made you mad, made you cry or made you simply say, “What an idiot this guy is!”

I know this is lame but I feel I need to put my new year’s resolutions in writing. I know each of us want to improve in some area of our life or accomplish something bigger or better this year. I know mine are so massive I don’t even know where to start. The key is starting, so writing them down is a start.

I am of the age and the wisdom that I understand accomplishing these things isn’t rocket science. It’s not about being lucky or smarter than everyone else. It’s simply discipline and setting short and long term goals. It’s really about discipline, belief in myself, and faith. I need to increase all three of these traits this year. Those perhaps, are the real resolutions. Everything else will happen as a result of an increase there. Here’s the list:


This is the most lame of all … DIET! LOSE WEIGHT! – I managed to drop 50lbs last year from June to Oct. Then managed to put 15 back on. Maybe I am an idiot! But I proved I could do it. The goal is 100 lbs from where I am today. Yesterday was the last undisciplined day. At east today I have taken my magic pill, had my breakfast drink and have consumed another 20 oz of water and it’s only 10AM. I’ve already had to pee 3 times. It must be working.


BE HAPPY! I realize no one can make me unhappy. I have to decide to be unhappy/happy myself. So I will decide to be contagiously happy.


WRITE. Finish my book. Make a daily writing commitment.


READ. Read the Scriptures daily and constantly be involved in a good book.


TAKE TWO NICE VACATIONS! I want to go on a cruise this year and I want to take a road trip to church history sites. A long weekend or two in California or Vegas is in order too!


WORK SMARTER. The hours I worked last year were outrageous, that needs to change significantly.


The biggest goal I have this year is to let Marian quit her job and buy her a new car. I know this is a simple function of accomplishing the "discipline, belief and faith" issue.

That’s it! I’m going to try and adopt Presidents Hinckley’s watchword and motto:

“Do the very best you can”


That's all any of us can do.

No comments: