Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Liar Liar?

All fishermen are liars but not all liars are fishermen.
-Anonymous fisherman
I don’t agree with Rep. Jim Wilson shouting out in Congress at the President of the United States, “you lie”. Bad Form! Bad Manners! But I also don’t agree with former President Jimmy Carter, for whom I have the utmost personal respect, calling Jim Wilson’s comments racially motivated. Where does that segue come from?

I, along with most intelligent Americans haven’t read the entire content of the President’s Health plan proposal. What brought the comment out of Jim Wilson was when President Obama said, “illegal aliens will be ineligible for federal subsidies to buy health insurance”. Maybe Jim Wilson has read the Presidents plan and doesn’t agree with the wording and the interpretation of the President. I agree with President Obama if he really means that illegal aliens will not be entitled to these benefits. In fact the bill should specifically state, “No person in the U.S. illegally has any claim or right to benefits under this law…EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE!” If it were written that way in H.R. 3200 then I figure Jim Wilson wouldn’t have grounds to call the President a liar. But again, I haven’t read it. If it says something other than that and with the way the Supreme Court interprets things these days we better be damn clear on our intent and meaning, and maybe Jim Wilson has a point (But still bad form)

I am of the opinion that everyone should have the right to health care, those that work full or part time, the elderly, children and even those that can’t afford it. I am not for giving free health care to people that break the law and are here illegally with their hands out. This doesn’t make me a racist either.

The US Taxpayer recently spent $700 billion on a bank bailout, and $130 billion on an automaker bailout, both of which I disagreed. Under the Capitalism that I subscribe to; those that run a good ship survive. Those that don’t nor heed the warning of the lighthouse crash on the rocks, as well they should. Who knows what the cost of Universal Health will be. But we need healthcare reform more than we need inefficient automakers and poorly run banks.

Has anyone documented what the cost has been to Joe Taxpayer who currently funds healthcare for millions of illegal aliens? Here’s a quote from an article posted 9/11/09 in the Contra Costa Times. (East San Francisco Bay Area, California)

“The state Department of Health Care Services estimates 768,400 undocumented immigrants will receive coverage this fiscal year through Medi-Cal, the health program funded by state and federal tax money. The cost: $1.2 billion.”

I think Jimmy Carter should stick to the wonderful job of sponsoring Habitat for Humanity and not assume he understands the underlying intent of a rash comment. I think Joe Wilson should sincerely apologize to the President and control his emotions. I think President Obama should be clear, no, make that crystal clear to the taxpayers of America, who does and does not get money under this plan. Because if Universal Healthcare becomes a reality and I find out that illegal aliens are getting benefits, then I will call the President a name worse than a liar.

No comments: