Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I spent 4 hours the other night fixing our new dryer. I had to take it entirely apart. The good thing is, I found the problem and repaired it. It should work for a long time. I figure if I had called an "official" repairman he would have told me that the cost of repairs would be just shy of buying a whole new dryer. In fact, I doubt he would have even fixed what I did.
A major dent in the back of the dryer was putting pressure on the internal drum. The felt seal around the edge of the drum had been shredded and the metal drum was spinning against the metal on the back of the dryer. The rubbing was making an awful sound and it actually cut about a 6 inch long slit through the back of the dryer. It was ugly. I bent the dryer back into form, placed a layer of heat resistant foil tape over the worn metal, replaced the felt seal on the drum and put the whole damn thing back together! My time - 4 hours. My cost - $25 for the new felt seal. The dryer works like new. Thanks Dad for passing down the "fix-it" gene!

1 comment:

Hilary said...

I'm glad you are such a problem solver...thanks Dad, for passing down the "problem-solver-fix-it-gene"!!