Wednesday, March 28, 2007

It doesn't get any better...


It doesn't get any better. The proverbial "stand in front of the tree kids for a Christmas picture" picture! This is 7 of my eight children. (from left to right Emily, Natalie, Cecily, Chris, Keegan, Bryan, and Hilary) Brandon is in Samoa on a Mission for the LDS Church. Marian (mom) must have been off to the side beaming a proud smile. Jacey, Chris' main squeeze was tending to Bruce the dog, the closest thing we have to a grandchild. There isn't a present under the tree that could ever replace the joy these kids have given me. I am sure I will share more about each as time goes on. For now I just wanted to show them off. Each is so unique and occupy their own place in my heart and mind.

Many years ago when all the kids were small someone made the comment to me that, "these are the easy years". I thought they were crazy. But age has once again proven to be the great giver of wisdom. I now realize that back then it was easy and simple and straight forward. Hurties and boo boos could be taken care of with a hug, a band aid or ice cream. Growing and learning and not running into the street were the main concerns. Now as a parent of older children I worry about things that I have no control over. Band aids, hugs and ice cream no longer solve the issues of adult children. Advice is only given when asked for. It can't be dispensed and enforced at will any longer. You still worry but they make their own decisions and you're just a spectator. That's the way it should be. But as a parent it's not easy at times. My children have made good decision, are good citizens and self-sufficient. That's really the best you can ask for. They love each other, and take care of each other. They are generous and loving people. Like I said. "It doesn't get any better".

No comments: